Veteran's day was yesterday. It was a lovely day - no work, no school. We slept in and ran errands. We thought about and were grateful for the veterans that fight or have fought for our freedom. But Anthem really celebrates Veteran's day on Saturday. It was the 7th Annual Veteran's day parade.
This year Tanner and Taylor were at a tri-stake youth service project with our ward. Timm was sleeping (of course) - and my normal parade buddy, Trevor, was on a scout camp out. So I was debating whether or not I would go. But then I got a text from my cute friend Candi, asking if I wanted to go with her and her son, Eli. So off we went. It is always a fun, emotional parade for me. Can't help but tear up when I see the vets - old or young. It's very moving. This years parade began with a Blackhawk helicopter fly-by. The Marshalls of the parade were Navajo code talkers from WWII. The oldest was 100 and the youngest was 84.
The parade features the local high schools, including Boulder Creek and their band (which incidentally includes two of Candi's kids - Gabbi and Michael) Here is Gabbi, kind of. At least her side.
This is always one of my favorite parade entries - the Sun City Pom squad. They are all retired ladies. they march in their leotards and tights (which btw, they can pull off - amazing!) and do their pom routines. A couple do baton twirling. Seriously awesome! I hope I can be this active (and thin) when I am their ages.We saw a lot of kids from the ward which was fun. There was also a P-51 fly-by. I wished that Tanner had been there. He loves WWII planes.
Another view of the P-51 Mustangs.
Every year, when I see these awesome veterans, I can't help but think of some veterans that a close to me. Including: Woody & Sue Dixon (Army), Kacee Brumfield Gregory & John Scherstuhl (Air Force), Dave Madsen (Army ROTC), Pete Madsen (Navy), and this year especially, I had an extra tender spot for 2nd Lieutenant, Lovell J Callister (Army Air Force). He joined in Spring of 1942 and began his training as a fighter pilot in World War II.
Here he is with his P-38, which he flew in China from 1944-1946. He was part of the Flying Tigers.
He has some awesome tales of his time there and he has an amazing love of those he served with and the country he fought for.
Here he is with his sweetheart, Lois, who he met in 1946 when he returned to Blackfoot, ID. They are both incredible people whom I love very much. Thank you for your example
I am so grateful for all of the veterans who fight to preserve the rights we enjoy in this country. I am also grateful for the sacrifices the families of veterans make in sending their loved ones off, and staying strong and keeping the home fires burning while they are gone. Thank you!a










1 comments:
Thanks for giving me a reason to cry tonight! This was very nice!
Post a Comment