Have you ever had that moment where someone points out something about yourself that is super-obvious, but still pretty hurtful to hear?
Yep, my latest happened yesterday at the Dr.'s office. I have to go see the stupid hematologist annually or he won't refill my blood thinner prescription. This week was the appointment that I have put off as long as possible. I, of course have to weigh in, which I dread. It's not like I am oblivious to the fact that I have piled on some poundage. I get off the scale and go back to the little crappy exam room, where I proceed to wait for 40+ minutes, even though I could hear that the Dr. had finished up with the patient ahead of me 20 minutes before he came in to see me. But that is fine. I read some fascinating articles out of Sports Illustrated, Marie Claire and Cancer Today.
So, the first thing out of his mouth is "How's your appetite? Wow, you've put on X pounds this year. You put on XX pounds last year. You can't continue to do this...." Yes. I am acutely aware. I'm fat. A hefty heifer. Pointing that out (REPEATEDLY) is like telling the David statue - "hey, your arms are missing. Did you know your arms are missing? I just can't believe your arms are missing. You can't have your arms missing..." You get the idea. Well, it went on like that for the full 7 minutes he was with me. Then he had me go up front while he wrote my much coveted prescriptions. I waited 10 minutes up front, only to have that freaky little doctor hand me the prescriptions, lean in and rub my arm and say, "Lose some weight". (No kidding!)
While his diagnoses was spot-on accurate, I still proceeded to go to the car and cry. Yes, you have identified the problem (which I identified 30 lbs ago), but I am not hearing any solutions. "Lose some weight" is not a valid approach for successful dieting.
So I am looking for some input. What has worked for you?
I know what has worked in small doses for me in the past. My issues seem to be more discipline related. Perhaps this harsh bluntness will be the motivation I need.
I did fight the urge to drowned my hurt feelings in a gallon of ice cream and steak fries with fry sauce. I instead grilled some chicken and had a salad. Then Jake and I went and worked out at the community center. Followed by a walk to the corner and back, while Timm ran.
Wish me luck on my quest to get Fit by Forty or at least by my next doctor's appointment!



0 comments:
Post a Comment