Friday, September 16, 2011

Back in my Day! - Homecoming Edition

I thought I would do a "Flashback Friday" today - but I'm going back - way back, back in time... so I decided these types of posts are better named "Back in my Day!" A Glimpse at how life was when I was growing up.
This is Homecoming week here at Boulder Creek High school.  Not that anyone would really know it.  I didn't hear about it until this week.  Only the Dance was mentioned in the announcements (which by the way, is a 'Homecoming Hoedown'...WTH???  Tay called it a "Ho-down" and said he respected his girlfriend way too much to take her to a dance like that - apparently there is a lot of inappropriate behavior at BCHS dances.)  But I digress.
I was asking Jake and Tanner last night if there were activities all week, like we used to have.  They said there were a couple of dress up days - Flannel Day and Twin day, but no powder puff game, no skit night, no parade.  I was disappointed for them. (Although they really didn't seem to be!)  Homecoming Week back in my day (yep, there it is, and yes, I realize I sound 90 years old) was awesome.  OK, maybe it had a little to do with the fact that I bled Green and Gold, was a girl and had a great time in high school. Or maybe little old Bees from Bonneville High School knew how to do Homecoming right! (I apologize for the picture quality.  These pictures of 20 year old scrapbooks don't have super clarity.)

First off - it was a well-publicized week full of activities (see the outline as printed in "The Buzz", BHS's newspaper.)
  • Mon- Green & Gold day / Pep Assembly to kick off the week / Skit Night - where each class puts on a skit for the theme "We BEE Jammin'
  • Tue - Funeral Day (aka Dress for the funeral of our rival Tigers) / Home Volleyball game 

  • Wed - Sports ays / Powder puff (Sr vs Jr girls football) and pillow movie
  • Thur - No School / VB games, X Country meet, JV Football
  • Fri - No School / Homecoming Parade through town / Football game with Homecoming Court crowning. 
  • Sat - Homecoming Dance
 Here's a glimpse of the fun activities from The Buzz
 A write-up detailing the fun in the next week's issue of The Buzz.
There were just so many fun things surrounding homecoming it was tough not to enjoy.  If you were lucky, the festivities started with someone asking you to the dance.  Many times, the guys tried to be creative in asking.  To answer my date this year, we decorated his room with crepe paper and hearts.  This is one of my BFFs from high school, Debbie.
 Here we are before the big Powder puff football game.  Back then, the girls got to play flag football.  Some of the boys coached us.  Some were the Spirit Studs (formerly called something that would get immediate attention from the ACLU if it were used today!) and Some guys were the drill team - called the Funny Bees (a spoof on the actual BHS drill team name, the Honeybees) My senior year, I played inside linebacker.  It was FUN!  I stripped the ball from the juniors and scored a touchdown! Woo Woo!
 One of the highlights of the week was a parade.  Each class presidency would decorate a float.  Clubs were encouraged too (although many of theirs were pickups filled with kids).  The cheerleaders cheered, the band played and the drill team marched... It went about 2 miles (maybe) and it was fun.  This year, we decided to ride bikes instead of ride in a truck or something.  it was fun.  We were like the Shriner's only on bikes!  We did tricks and weaved in and out of each other.  I am sure we were much more amusing to ourselves than to anyone watching.
 It's Idaho in October, so the mornings were a little chilly. Check the gloves - I had far too good of a tan to cover up my legs (which I thought were huge at the time, but would kill to have now!)
 This is Emilee.  My mini-me.  She was at the parade.  OK, she was probably in the parade.
 We tried to do a fund raiser during homecoming week.  My dad got a junk yard to donate this station wagon.  we painted it to look like a tiger (hahaha) and then we charged people to smash it with a sledge hammer.  Since it wasn't a working vehicle, we towed it to the school - with my delightful Rainbow connection (76 Buick Skylark).  I distinctly recall some smart Alec say, "which car are we supposed to smash" as we pulled up. I can laugh about it now.  Then I wanted to hide.  Side note - we didn't make any money at all - it was rainy that week and no one would go outside to beat it.  In the end, Angie and I smashed it so it would look beat up during the parade.
We didn't have a football stadium at our field, so we played all of our home games at IF's stadium in town.  Before the homecoming game, we had everyone meet at BHS and we decorated our cars (I remember using white shoe polish to write stuff on my windows) and we caravaned into the stadium.  That was actually pretty cool!  I am sure we probably lost our football game.  We did that a lot.  But it was still awesome.  At halftime, they drove the homecoming court around the track and then their parents would escort them onto the field and they crowned the queen and king. 
The culmination of Homecoming week was the dance.  Dances weren't vulgar.  They were held in the "commons" area of our high school (a big carpeted area surrounded by all of the lockers).  My senior year the dance theme song was I'll see you in my dreams, by Giant .  My Grandma made my dress.  I loved it.  I loved the color and I loved the way it turned out.  She took a sleeveless pattern and added sleeves to modest me up.
(side note - I couldn't wear a bra with it. I was very self conscious about it at the time. But that's understandable - with those huge boobs! not!!!)
 Yes - I hit the tanning booth pretty hard for about a month solid before this dance. 
 Look at the size of my blurry arm in this picture.  I can't believe how skewed my body image was in high school!!!
 I look a little bit like a bobble-head with my big hair.
 This is me and my little brother Scott waiting for my date.  My date was late. (If you ask my mom, she will tell you this guys was ALWAYS late picking me up.)
Thanks for indulging me on this trip down memory lane.  I had a great time at stuff like this and I want my guys to experience the same fun.  So, please forgive me as instead of them going on a camp out tonight, I am hoping they will get to make a memory at tonight's homecoming game that they can share with their kids someday.
Photobucket

1 comments:

DIAZ BLOG said...

AWESOME...I had forgotten about most of that stuff....WOW, we did know how to throw a party!!! I am really glad that my kids' school still does most of that stuff!

My favorite Site for Primary Help