Since I was in high school, Senior day sports games have been a tender spot for me. I remember as a sophomore watching my brothers last basketball game and crying when it was over, knowing he was done. In the many women's basketball seasons I have sat through, I have teared up many many times watching girls I barely know, walk with their parents onto the floor as they are honored as a senior.
I have been worried about Taylor's senior day (and graduation and everything surrounding that) for a while. Knowing that Timm wouldn't be here to walk with me didn't help. But the day was at finally at hand.
The night before, Karen and assistant Coach Tron Brinkman hosted a dinner at their home for all of the seniors and their families. I again was a little hesitant about it. Timm was in CO, Trevor was in California for band and Tanner didn't want to go so it was just me and Jake - and normally the players go off with the other players at this thing leaving the parents. I have known a lot of the LAX parents for a few years now - but I was still worried it would be awkward. It ended up being such a nice evening. It was fun to talk to the parents and find out what all of the boys were planning to do next year. It was a great dinner and I am very grateful to the Brinkmans for hosting it.
Saturday, between the JV and Varsity games, they called all of the parents onto the field. Karen had asked that someone from the family wear the players Jersey (and since I was the only one walking, that was me - not so flattering...)
Here is the non-seniors lined upJake was the first one through. The person who planned this had wanted them to go through the tunnel of players, pick up and shoot a goal, then get flowers and come and pick up their family and walk to the middle of the field.
That process was a little confusing and Jake did it a little backwards - which actually ended up working out better for me, as it made it much less emotional for me.
I was sure proud of him.
All the seniors and their families.


0 comments:
Post a Comment