Friday, February 11, 2011

No! What is that?

A year ago, Timm's basketball team drew secret Santa names.  Timm got a sophomore player named Casey.  We were at a loss as to what a grown man should get for a 15 year old girl that wouldn't be weird or lame.  So we decided to make her a quilt.  The top was black swirlies and we (and by we I mean me) put her name on the front and basketball and her number.  And then I tied it.  Nothing elaborate - I am not a great seamstress so it couldn't be elaborate.  I must have got the fabric on close-out, because I figured I spent about $15.  Apparently it was a hit.  Several players since have told Timm they would buy one if we made it for them.  But we didn't.  I have a job and that took some effort.
Tonight is Senior night - the last home basketball game for their 3 seniors.  The boosters and the coaches make it special for the girls.  Each Sr. family puts together a poster of their Senior and they put them up near the entrance at the game.  They call them out on the court with their parent, the coaches read something about them, and their parents read them a letter they write them (I always cry during it).   And lastly, they present them with a couple of gifts.  This year (ok about 2 weeks ago or so) the booster moms asked Timm if he thought I would make quilts for their seniors.  He asked me and I kinda hummed and hawed. In the end, I ended up making quilts. (Why can't I just say no?)  The Boosters gave us $50 for material.  Timm, in his manly ignorance said, "you probably made out pretty well on that, huh?" to which I chuckled and replied, "I paid about $20 additional".  Men... No concept of cost. I started these about 10 days ago and all of my spare time since has been devoted to these quilts (except during the super bowl and Lacrosse games).  With my deadline hanging above me, I finally finished them.  Phew - huge sigh of relief.
Timm's favorite was Brittney's - although he thought I should have tied it in black instead of white.
I couldn't find enough of the same material to make all 3 the same.  So two are the same top with different backs.  Timm liked Brittany's better than Ally's.  I think it's because it looks barer because there are only 4 letters.
I hope Devyn likes her peace signs instead of the checks everyone else got.  This was Timm's least favorite.  He thought it was too dark.  I really appreciate a critic who sits and watches as I do this for his team (NOT!!!)

I told him that he had to make sure he gave them the following disclaimer:
"My wife is a banker by trade.  She is not a professional seamstress.  Please do not look closely or critically at the item you are about to receive."
By today, my hands are sore from poking myself and my fingers are starting to blister from pulling a needle.  I am glad to be done.  (No comments about the sausage fingers please!) Now Timm wants one, but I told him he would have to wait for a while - or I could show him how to do it!
Photobucket
Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

Karen and Joe said...

Wow Traci! You are so sweet! That is a very nice gift, and generous of you to spend so much time do that! I hope they really appreciate them. You are awesome!

My favorite Site for Primary Help