
So the day finally came. After just shy of 3 years, I got released from primary. It was far more bittersweet than I had anticipated. Definitely relief, but a sadness too. I have come to love primary, the children and the people I work with. When you invest that much time, effort and love in anything, it becomes very dear to you. As I went through all of my primary stuff in preparation to hand it over to the extremely capable and strong new president, I was able to reflect on the past few years and my experiences.
Our ward was split on a Sunday. On that Wed., I sat at a flag football game with Diane Davis. We were discussing the split and how the presidencies would likely be called this week. She said, "Have you gotten called to anything yet?" I said, "No, I think it is safe to say, that I won't have to worry about this round of callings." When I got home, I had a message from the Bishop. Not sure if that was irony or if Diane knew something I didn't. We weren't able to catch up with the Bishop until Saturday. When he came to our home and extended the call of Primary President, I was overwhelmed (to say the least). I think the Bishop sensed my fright, because he gave me the following words of wisdom: "Work as if it all depends on you. Pray as if it all depends on the Lord."
When I stood up as my name was called for a sustaining vote the next day, I wasn't sure if my legs would hold me. They were shaking too much. Because the primary program was the next week, I didn't have to take the reigns until then. I shook, physically shook, the entire week, as we tried to form classes and prayed for inspiration to name teachers. The program that year included the song "Follow the Prophets". All week long one line repeated in my head, "When we really try, the lord won't let us fail..."
Going through my gigantic binder this week, the first thing I found was a sheet that has been there since that week, nearly three years ago. It contained those two paragraphs, "Work as if it all depends on you. Pray as if it all depends on the Lord." and "When we really try, the Lord won't let us fail..." I have leaned on the Lord so much to help me with this calling. There were so many times that I felt completely inadequate and overwhelmed and he was there to help me realize, it wasn't about me. It was about the children and it was my role to pass on his love for them, by showing them love. And he wouldn't let me or the kids down. I have felt his love and care often.
I have been very blessed to work with 7 amazing, wonderful counselors & secretaries throughout my calling, all of whom have taught me so much. They all had such strong testimonies of the gospel and truly a love of the children. Thank you for your service, love and friendship. I will miss that association with them, but carry their example with me always.
I also have such an appreciation and love for our Bishop and his counselors. They are truly men of God. They have such a love and concern for our ward's well-being. They are amazing men.
I know that callings are extended through inspiration. We are called for reasons - either our own growth, a need, word or gesture of love that someone else needs that we can provide, or both. I know that this has been a growth calling for me. And I hope that in someway, I was able to provide for a need of someone else as well.
As I stood again yesterday to be "released with a vote of thanks", I again shook, this time with a wave of unexpected emotion. What a fantastic experience. With a heart full of gratitude for the blessings I have received through this service, I look forward to what future adventures await me.

Monday, July 27, 2009
When we really try, the Lord won't let us fail...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
what a great post! Such a wonderful reflection of your experience and time in Primary as Pres. You were truly amazing and did such an amazing job of following the Bishops advice to the "T". You always did work like it was all on you, and prayed like it was all on the Lord. I will never forget my experience with you as well nor your wonderful example! You are awesome! I'm going to miss the kids and serving in their too!
Very cool experience!
Once again you never cease to amaze me!!! GReat post!!
You had to have been the coolest Primary President ever! That was an awesome post! I'm with Em... you are amazing!
Post a Comment