So I thought I needed to add a bit about my Grandpa's passing and funeral. I have shed many tears over the past few months, hearing of his struggles and decline and knowing the end was coming quickly. (I hope the tear-laden Raisin filled cookies I sent for Christmas weren't too salty!) He was a strong, independent proud man and I imagine it was very challenging to be forced to depend on others so heavily. Many tears were also shed for my Mom, my Grandma, my Aunts and Uncle and those who were working so hard to take care of him and worrying so much. This was my Grandpa. I always said, if I read an obituary for an 88 year old in the paper I would think, "they were pretty old". But in terms of my Grandpa, I never thought of it that way.
When we got word that his time on Earth was very short (hospice projected 24-48 hours), it was hard. And when the text came at 6am that he had succumbed around 3:30am a few tears escaped. When I saw some of the beautiful tributes on FB from my siblings and cousins, I wept. Through out the next couple of days, I had a tightness in my chest and a short fuse. But as we said a prayer for strength as I pulled off at their exit, the flood of emotions hit like a monsoon. This losing someone you love thing is new to us. With all four of my
grandparents still living, I was unprepared for the impact losing one of
them would have... It was tough!
Timm didn't get to go because he had just started a new job a few weeks ago and this school didn't offer bereavement leave. I didn't think it would be a big deal to go on my own, but I will never make that mistake again. While it was absolutely WONDERFUL to be surrounded by my brothers and sisters and cousins, I really could have used him to prop me up. Especially during the funeral.
My Cousin, Melissa Grow and I were asked to do the life sketch. It
was tough. I put off thinking too much about it far too long. Finally,
a couple hours before the viewing we started it. We regrouped
afterward and worked until after 2am to finish it. The next day, we
were hoping that it made sense... Sometimes 2am sense isn't normal hour
sense. :)
This was the life sketch we gave.
Lovell J Callister was born August 21, 1923 to Orson Pratt and Annie
Francella Callister.
In 1947, he married Lois Ann Sowers and together they have
seven children. Dates and facts don’t
tell the whole story. His life was defined more by how he lived and the kind of
man he was. The Character traits he
embodied and the lessons that he taught can be easily summed up in one word:
Grandpa
G is for Generosity
While sitting in the barber shop, a man walked in who was in
need of cash. He said he needed to sell
a chair for $25. Grandpa told him he
didn’t want the chair but he’d give him the money. The man was insistent that he take the
chair. So home Grandpa came with this
guy’s old ugly chair. It sat in the
living room for about month until Grandma finally made him get rid of it. When he saw someone in need he took action
and was more than willing to help them however he could.
R is for Righteous
Grandpa spent many years working within the youth
organizations of the Church. He was
called as Bishop of the Rose first ward, where he served for 5 and a half years. In Grandpa’s words, “I am grateful for the
opportunity to serve as Bishop in the Rose ward. It gave me an insight into the gospel that I
would never have received otherwise. So
many times the Lord inspired me to accomplish things I’d never have accomplished on my own. I came to realize the truthfulness of the
gospel and what a perfect organization the church is. No one ever felt so inadequate in receiving
the call to serve and only with the inspiration and direction of the Lord was I
able to fulfill the position. The gospel
is true and should be taught to each of our children and grandchildren and to
the world.”
In addition to service opportunities with the Church, he
also loved to attend and participate in a good church basketball brawl.
Grandpa made sure his grandsons knew the importance of being
a home teacher. Clay, who was his
partner for many years said they were such good home teachers that when Grandpa
could no longer go out to visit, the families would come see him.
A is for Athletic
Athletics was a part of his life. His family had a basketball hoop in their
backyard and on the evenings or weekends all the neighborhood kids would
congregate and they’d have a ballgame going.
There was always a wager going on with their family to see who could
perform the best in one sport or another.
Grandpa loved sports and passed on that spirit of healthy
competition. At family reunions he often
challenged his brother’s grandchildren to play us in volleyball games. He trained us to be such an intimidating
force on the court, several families declined his offers of a friendly
game.
One of the most important games of the year was played on
Thanksgiving day. This was when Grandpa
would watch his family take on a rival family from the ward. We don’t know if that family even realized
that in our eyes, that was the true Rose bowl.
N is for the Nuclear explosion that let the entire country
know what a hero our Grandpa was. He
worked as a health physicist at the INEL.
While working the night shift an accident occurred. Shortly after receiving news about the
explosion of the SL1 reactor, Grandpa risked his own life to check on his
co-workers trapped inside. Grandma Lois
heard about incident on the news before he called to tell her he was
involved. It was a day and a half later,
before she saw him again. His tardiness
was overlooked when he was awarded the Carnegie medal of Heroism for his
actions. We’ve always considered him our
own personal super hero even though his cape was buried along with his clothes
and other belongings that day.
D is for the Dairy Farm
Grandpa quit working at the site so he could farm full time.
He said “It seemed at last I could accomplish the work I loved doing.” Grandma has said he’s outstanding in his
field. No really, she said, he was out
standing in his field. It brought him
pure joy to stand and admire the crops in his field. Many of his grandchildren looked forward to
the time they could spend with him on the dairy farm. It was here that many vocabulary lessons were
learned. We would tell you more about
this, but we were always taught that what is said in the barn, stays in the barn.
P is for Patriotism
He instilled in all of us a love of country and through his
example he inspired his Granddaughter, Kacee to join the Air Force. Serving as a captain in the Army Air Force,
he flew P-38s in World War II. He was a
member of the 449th fighter squadron, known as the Flying Tigers. He considered himself fortunate to be able
to circle the globe in his overseas assignments.
In 1945, while stationed in India he wrote a letter to his
father which said, “After seeing how the other half lives, I am glad I am an
American. Before the war it didn’t mean
so much, but now I realize its true value.”
His love of country went hand in hand with his love of
god. He recognized that several times
while flying, he was in situations where his life seemed in great danger and he
had direct answers to his prayers when there seemed no other way to survive.
A is for All for One
As the youngest of 8 children he learned to be true to
himself and the family name he bore. He
truly took to heart what in means to be a Callister. This means shooting baskets to decide who
does the chores, wearing blue jumpsuits in your older years and attending as
many of your grandchildren’s activities as possible, while never understanding
why coaches didn’t play the Callister grandkids all the time.
Closing with Grandpa Lovell’s own words, “We have a
wonderful family. Life has had its
difficulties, but the Lord has blessed our family in many ways. I am especially grateful to Lois for the
support she has given me in everything I have attempted to do… I am grateful for the love and support of my
children… and for the example my parents set for me.”
May, we strive to embrace the lessons Grandpa Lovell taught,
as his greatest desire is to have us all on his winning team for eternity.
There were many beautiful words shared during the funeral. My Dad gave a beautiful family prayer. My brother, Scott gave a wonderful opening prayer. My brother Eric gave such an incredible talk. My aunt Martha shared a stunning piano medley she put together of all Grandpa's favorites. My Cousin Jack spoke - he said, "Grandpa never met a culinary disaster that couldn't be cured with Ketchup" very cute. My Uncle Rex spoke and gave such a wonder tribute, as well as a poem he had written. I sure would love a copy of that poem. The service closed with President Kent Taylor's remarks. He told that he was a Sunday school teacher when my Grandpa was Bishop. One day, My Grandpa called him in and called him to be Sunday school president. At the time, this Pres. Taylor, who was a high school teacher and coach by trade, was teaching youth Sunday school. He told my Grandpa that he loved those kids and they needed him. My Grandpa responded, "The Lord wants you to get leadership training within the Church. He wants you to be Sunday School President." He accepted. And went on to eventually be my Grandpa's Bishop and then his Stake President.
It was an incredible meeting. Sad and happy and very tearful. I am very blessed to have such a great lineage. I miss him. It still stuns sometimes to think that he isn't sitting in his chair in Idaho next to my Grandma. But I know he has great works to do on the other side. Love you Grandpa.
0 comments:
Post a Comment