About a week or so ago, I was shredding some documents. When I went to unplug the shredder, I accidentally unplugged my laptop. I've done it before (although not a lot) and it has never had a problem. This time, it was a problem. It will no longer recognize the wireless card. Many of the windows functionalities will not work. I cannot delete anything. I cannot move anything. It will not recognize a CD or a LAN network. It is screwed!!! So I have spent the past week trying to move my information from that computer to Timm's old HP. It's a pain. Since I can't move anything, the only way to get it to a jump drive is to send the file to WinZip and then extract it to the jump drive. It was painful, but I got all of my documents and pictures off.
Timm thinks my computer got a virus from something one of the boys downloaded (although I have McAfee, and I thought that was supposed to prevent that, but whatever.) I am wondering if it was related to my blog though. I have been getting some comments posted by people I don't know. Many of the comments identify the poster by a string of Japanese or Chinese symbols. I tried to translate them once with Google translate and it was gibberish (but that could be because I wasn't sure what language it was. I was trying to understand why someone would even do that. I am wondering if, because it sends me an email with each comment, that they are able to access my computer or transfer a virus or something.
I am thinking about going private because of that. I don't really have a problem with people seeing what I post. My deranged thoughts are available for anyone's reading pleasure. However, I am concerned if I am exposing my network, computers or family to harmful things.
Any one have any thoughts on that? Am I being overly paranoid? Is anyone out there? Do you hear the voices? ha ha ha.

Friday, April 30, 2010
RIP Computer
Posted by Traci at 3:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Hmmm, never thought of the virus thing from unknown comments. People are so stupid (us and all we know excluded--of COURSE:) As for going private--I HATE it! I just feel a deep sadness about my randomness not being available to the outside of me and mine world. They soooo need me:) Really though, I do hate it for some unknownness. However, I do feel safer. I even use my kids real names now--how crazy is that?
If you do--add me please.
OK Jackie - so I usually link to your blog through Bev's cuz she had it set up to show updates (and I am too lazy to do that). Just the other day I was thinking, "I am surprised that Jackie hasn't updated lately." Now it makes sense. I would love an invite. You keep me in stitches with your posts!
Post a Comment